Make a Falling Leaves Art Quilt with Needle Felting

Sewing and quilting provides a creative outlet. Linda Hall, fiber artist, has provided the inspiration, it’s a dimensional wall quilt called Falling Leaves. Learn from Nancy how to needle felt dimensional leaf shapes. Read an interview with the designer at Nancy’s Blog: www.nancyzieman.com/blog

49 Responses to “Make a Falling Leaves Art Quilt with Needle Felting”

1. moficast Says:

June 11th, 2012 at 11:02 pm

My brother suggested I may like this blog. He was once entirely right. This put up actually made my day. You cann’t imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

2. Merry Goose Says:

November 8th, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I love your shows and I’m glad to see it on my computer now, thanks sew much!

3. Caren Says:

November 8th, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I loved your felting video! I have had a felting machine since last year and haven’t tried it out yet. Now I can’t wait to start making these beautiful leaves! Thank you to Pieceful Quilting for connecting us with Nancy’s videos. I can hardly wait for the next one. Keep them coming, Nancy!

4. Sheryl Hoffman Says:

November 6th, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Just loved your video. Thank you Angie from Pieceful Quilting for hooking up with Nancy. I ran right out and bought roving, I already owned the brush and tool, just never used them. I have made about 40 leaves so far. I used my Accuquilt Go to cut them out with the Fall Medley die. They are perfect together, I can’t wait to piece the quilt and attach my leaves. What a great piece of art.

5. Karen Downs Says:

October 29th, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Sure enjoy the videos. Love this site. I look forward to the expo every year – missed you last year!!!!!!!!

6. Valerie Says:

October 27th, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Thank you for the great instructional videos! I’ve been dying to try felting, but couldn’t figure out how to incorporate it into quilting — now I know! Looking forward to seeing you at Sew Expo in 2011!

October 27th, 2010 at 6:48 am

Karen, someone from Baby Lock will get back to you regarding your questions. I know it can easily be resolved. Thanks for writing. Nancy

8. Karen E. Says:

October 26th, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Your tips and movies are helping me alot! I have a Baby Lock and am having problems with it., My small hoop the 4×4 when attached, is getting an error message that the hoop is not attached. I took it in for repairs on the error message. and the repairman said nothing is wrong with it. So I tried it again and am still getting the same message. So I bought a new 4×4 hoop and tried it and still get the same message. It’s driving me nuts! So now I have 2 useless 4×4 hoops

9. Sherri Says:

October 26th, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Welcome to my computer home….I happily anticipate enjoying your video lessons at my convenience rather than that of the PBS schedule Never miss your program at the Puyallup show. So glad you will be back this year. See you in March.

10. Susan K Says:

October 26th, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Hi Nancy, I’m lucky, you come into my home every Saturday morning. I’ve learned so much. Keep up the good work! Love the new blog. Thank you for the new project…….Susan

11. Jan K. Says:

October 26th, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Hi Nancy! I appreciate all that you have done and continue to do to help so many have joy in their creativity with needle and thread….and now your online tv with the videos is another boost to us. Thank you!!! Can’t wait to see you at Sew Expo next year!

12. Katherine O. Says:

October 26th, 2010 at 10:56 am

I am so pleased to see another project for the needle felting machine… I bought mine from Nancy’s Notions before I ever saw them in the stores. Thank you for another way to watch informative project “How Tos” in addition to TV on Saturday mornings!!

13. Sue Watt Says:

October 25th, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Loved the video. It was clear instructions and I am going to make felted leaves–a bit smaller. I will use three leaves and make pin. I may make several pins. Thanks a bunch

14. Judy Says:

October 23rd, 2010 at 8:08 am

GREAT!! I can now view videos on my favoriate past time – sewing. Thanks for the felting videos, please send us more topics. We need more sewing/quilting shows on TV. I will be visiting the websites more often.

15. Carol Says:

October 21st, 2010 at 6:48 am

I have had a felting machine for quite some time and never have used it. This would really be a great place to start with the leaves. Love the video!

October 21st, 2010 at 6:39 am

Hi Diane, If your having trouble seeing the video, please check your browser to confirm if Javascript is enabled and download the latest flash player. You can get the Flash player here http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/.

17. Louise Bayle Says:

October 21st, 2010 at 4:31 am

Your saturday morning show is one I never miss. I have it set to record if I am gone. You have always given me inspiration and now this. I know I can not get that great machine but will give hand felting a try. Love to quilt but have been in a mood that nothing could get me to the machine. Now thanks for the video; I am ready to start something again.

18. Diane Says:

October 20th, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I am having trouble trying to see this video. When I click on the arrown, I get a black screen and a rotating white circle. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

19. Gail Says:

October 19th, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Enjoyed this video, Nancy. The felted leaves are so neat, it would be fun to have a machine like that. I would like to request the lighting to be brighter it was hard to see parts of the video. Looking forward to more.
    Gail

20. Lily Kerns Says:

October 19th, 2010 at 1:59 pm

i teach a felting class at QuiltUniversity.com on both hand and machine felting. I’ll pass this link on to my class….

21. Maggi Says:

October 18th, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Excited to watch you anytime now. The leaf video was awesome-sent me right out the door to buy supplies and I am ready to make the leaves. Thank you!! Looking forward to many more inspiring videos.

22. Dorene Says:

October 18th, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Thank you so much for video on the net, haven’t been able to get your TV program. I used to alway watch it.
    Looking forward to more.

October 18th, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Dear Charlene, you will need to download Windows Media Player—it’s free. Please google “Windows Media Player” for the free software.

24. Beverly Says:

October 18th, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Enjoyed the video. Thanks and I am looking forward to viewing more.

25. Betty Cross Says:

October 18th, 2010 at 8:51 am

Nancy, This is the first note I have sent to a TV personality. Just wanted you to know your program has been an inspiration for years.
    The new programs are refreshing and seem to renew my desire to create. The TV videos have just enough info to get us started on new projects. I appreciate the quality. After spending a lot of money on some of the Baby Lock CD’s I was disappointed in the quality. The sound and clarity was extremely hard to follow. This one is wonderful.

Thanks again for your inspiration.

Betty Cross

26. pat smith Says:

October 17th, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Great, I love working with wools and this looks like fun

27. Sharon Carbine (ArtsySharon) Says:

October 17th, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Nancy,

I love your new Web site. Having learned a tremendous amount from your TV shows, blog and demos at http://www.nancysnotions.com, I am delighted for this new multi-faceted learning opportunity. You are endlessly talented and hardworking!

Thank you!

Sharon Carbine

28. Louise M. Key Says:

October 16th, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Really like the email video idea! Thanks so much. Louise

29. Carol Ramey Says:

October 16th, 2010 at 1:39 pm

What a fun idea. I have a Baby Lock machine but not that plastic needle piece you used to do the felting with. I will go to my local store and check that out. Thank-you for the demo.

30. Barbara Schaefer Says:

October 16th, 2010 at 11:53 am

Most interesting concept. Always glad to see what’s new in the world of quilting embelishments.

31. Betty S. Lewis Says:

October 16th, 2010 at 8:49 am

Thank you so much for the Videos – I will look forward to them each month. I have enjoyed your TV programs for many years and had the opportunity to meet you when you were in Charlotte, NC. You are an excellent teacher and inspire me with your wonderful ideas and ways for sewing and quilting. Keep up the good work!

32. Donna Chapman Says:

October 16th, 2010 at 7:19 am

Nancy, I have taped your tv program every week and saved all the tapes…..but now I will be able to just look them up on line and have easy access to the projects without a lot of searching and rewinding on the VHS tapes! Thank heavens and Nancy for embracing new technology and my Babylock dealer for sending me your feed.

33. Anna Says:

October 16th, 2010 at 6:06 am

I love your new Nancy Zieman TV shows online! Can’t wait for the next one!!! Please keep ‘em coming! What an exciting new way to deliver the message of how exciting sewing, quilting, embroidering and serging really are!

Anna

34. SHEILA E Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I really liked this quilt it seems very easy with the right machines and notions. This was a very cool email from all of you at J&M VAC & SEW. Thanks.

35. D Bergstrom Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Avid fan. I watch your show Saturday mornings and find the re-runs a good refresher. I have already signed up for your January class at Puyallup WA. I grew up sewing , doing hand embroidery and silk ribbon embroidery. And still love being creative. Now I have machine embroidery to help with projects. Love it!

36. Charlene Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I could not view the video. Very disappointed.

October 15th, 2010 at 2:42 pm

The instructions for the Fall Leaves Quilting are in “The Art of Machine Needlefelting.” Check with your local Baby Lock Dealer.

38. anne Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 11:51 am

Are there printed instructions to go along with the videos? A PDF, perhaps?

39. ellen Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 11:41 am

Wow, how wonderful to have little “snippets” of sewing ideas. I always try to catch your Sewing with Nancy on PBS, but now if that is not possible I can still be a learned sewer. Thanks!

40. Carolyn Fanning Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 9:33 am

I enjoyed watching the video’s and seeing what the Sashiko and the embellisher machine’s could do. Nancy Zieman makes it look so easy, makes you want the machine. Thank you for sending the video’s for me to watch. Carolyn

41. Sparkelle Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 9:27 am

Hello,

I love the felted leaves for the quilt. Wonderful project. I also love your green knit top. What is the pattern number that you are wearing? It is so beautiful on you, Nancy.

Happy Sewing and Have a Wonderful Weekend.

42. Mary Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 9:24 am

Very nice. I only had time to view two, but I will return later.

43. Yvonne Jordan Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 8:51 am

I love the falling leaves made with the roving. I have purchased some roving a few years back and haven’t used it. Now I am inspired. It is so realistic looking and attractive. Looks like fun too. Thank you for sharing.

44. Cathy Prwivo Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 8:13 am

I love this technique, its beautiful !! I own three machines now, and although I would love to be able to use the technique demonstrated, I don’t think I would buy another machine to do just that. Thank you for introducing it.

45. Katie Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 7:44 am

I love this Idea (NZTV) can never have enough Nancy! I have never tried to do felting before, but it looked really easy and fun. I down loaded the coupon and I’m off to vist my Babylock dealer. May even check out the felting machine. Can’t wait to see next months show!

Thanks Katie

46. Phyllis Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 7:20 am

I loved the Nancy tutorial! It was so easy to follow and I cannot wait to try it!
    Keep these coming. I am a fan. Thanks.

47. Sandy Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 7:15 am

Nancy, this is awesome! Now we can get educated whenever we have that precious block of time to sit before the computer! I’m so excited about your new TV website! So many projects, so little time!!!!!! Sandy

48. lynne mulcahey Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 6:44 am

informative understandable and enjoyable it motivates me to want to try it–thank you

49. Mae Pietrick Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 6:36 am

I have always loved watching the Sewing with Nancy TV episodes, but I switched to Comcast cable recently and can’t seem to find it anymore.