Edgy Ruffles—Serger Style

Is your serger set for an overlock stitch right now? Be honest! If it is, take a quick break from what you’re doing and watch three ways you can use your serger for some pretty amazing edge finishes and even a gathering technique.

12 Responses to “Edgy Ruffles—Serger Style”

1. Lukiinha Says:

September 26th, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I am SO excited about all of your tuliroars. I just got my sewing machine last week (I’m a beginner you’ve inspired me!) and I have already done a hooded towel for my big baby and after this tutorial I think I may just do my own shower curtain instead of hiring someone to make it for me! Going to go do a sample buttonhole now![] Reply:March 28th, 2012 at 8:52 amawesome![]Kelly Reply:June 26th, 2012 at 7:40 amAlright on to the shower curtain. I have the whole thing done except the buttonholes. I have been practicing buttonholes all morning, but I am having trouble. My practice holes on my folded thin cotton fabric is coming out fine, but when I practice on scraps of my actual fabric, my top thread keeps breaking. The fabric I am using is 55% linen & 45% rayon. (It’s the beautiful Robert Allen Khanjali Glacier I planned a whole bathroom around it!) I am using Premium Sulky 40 wt. rayon thread. I’ve tried the buttonholes using 3, 4, & 5 tension. I don’t know what to do! Any ideas?![]Kelly Reply:June 26th, 2012 at 9:03 pmNevermind! I did it! I cleaned my machine, completely re-threaded it, and used a new needle. (After hours of researching what to do ) Voila! A shower curtain! Now I can go to bed []

2. Christine Paz Says:

April 26th, 2011 at 2:29 am

I have purchased the pattern and will use my serger to create the ruffle for this Indygo Junction cropped jacket, which will be a new serging adventure for me. I currently have a Husqvarna/Viking 930 serger which I have only used mainly to clean up seams; however, watched your demo and I’ll give the ruffle a try. I’m attempting to take a giant step to use my serger to its fullest creative capacity. That sweet Baby Lock serger you demonstrate on looks like a fabulous machine and really caught my eye…always chasing that rainbow! Love your program, blog, catalog, etc.

I’m a big fan! Sincerely, Christine

April 18th, 2011 at 5:58 am

Dear Mareitta, Please check your browser to confirm if Javascript is enabled and download the latest flash player. You can get the Flash player here http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/. Hope that helps!

April 18th, 2011 at 5:56 am

Dear Mary, Please check your browser to confirm if Javascript is enabled and download the latest flash player. You can get the Flash player here http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/. Hope that helps!

5. linda hurst Says:

April 17th, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Your videos are so informative. I have learned so many techniques from them. I am constantly experimenting with the new ideas. I am a crafter and I make many fun gifts for friends and family. They are eager to see what I will come up with next.

Thank you, and I hope you will continue with these wonderful videos.

Linda

6. Mary Mohring Says:

April 16th, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Cannot open serging videos Get error messaage

7. Mareittta Says:

April 16th, 2011 at 11:53 am

Video will now work??? Please send again.

8. lucinda padgett Says:

April 12th, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Thank u Nancy, your web site is great and better than great. I have been your fan for 8 years or more, thank u for your TV shows and now your videos and i learned so much from u, and when i get a chance i do buye from your web site, i think have about 20 videos from shows back and up to now. Keep up the good work and GOD bless u and your family and staff. ( my request, can u do a heirloom show and video or you tube on mitering lace on handkerchief one of these days) thank u.

9. Sandy Davis "SewNSan" Says:

April 12th, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I, too, have VCR tapes of you, Nancy, dating back to the early 90’s that I’ll never part with! I use a lot of them for a reference library for teaching sewing classes in a community group as a volunteer sewing teacher trained by our state’s University Extension Service. Lots of great, valuable information, and I love your dedication! Thank you so much for your creativity and ability to give us new techniques and inspiration!

10. margaret castonguay Says:

April 12th, 2011 at 9:49 am

Wow, Nancy you’re the best and always so informative… I love watching you and have been for 20 years now, I have vcr’s of your shows , and I’ll never part with them or my player…..I love nancy zieman…….don’t ever leave us Nancy…..Margie

11. Faye Says:

April 12th, 2011 at 9:48 am

OH my gosh! What a GORGEOUS jacket! There are so many ways to make it elegant or for work/casual wear. I HAVE to make one of these! And I just got my new Evolve serger with the wave stitch. Very anxious to try it out. Thank you so much, Nancy – you have amazing ideas to share.

12. That is a wonderful video on making ruffles. Thanks Nancy Says:

April 12th, 2011 at 7:17 am

Nancy, Your videos are so informative and easy to understand. Thanks so much for your continuous help with my embroidery and serger machines. There are so many tricks of the trade to learn which makes sewing an adventure for me.
    Your fan, Anita