Serge & Merge—A Speedy Serger Quilt

You may think of a serger as your go-to machine for serging knits, finishing edges, or creating children’s clothes. Watch as Nancy Zieman uses this same versatile machine for quilting! Sharon Rotz, author, has provided the inspiration for the Thirteen’s A Charm Quilt. Read an interview with the author at Nancy’s Blog: www.nancyzieman.com/blog

29 Responses to “Serge & Merge-A Speedy Serger Quilt”

1. Nancy Zieman/Sewing With Nancy/Sharon Rotz/sewing Patterns | Nancy Zieman Blog Says:

January 21st, 2012 at 1:33 am

[...] Watch an online video on how to create Sharon’s quilt on Nancy Zieman TV . [...]

September 13th, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Jean, this quilt pattern is available in the book, Serge ‘n Merge Quilts, by Sharon Rotz. It is available from Nancy’s Notions; here’s the link http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/serge+and+merge+quilts+book.do?extid=fbnz

September 13th, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Mary Mulari was my guest. The name of the book and TV series is First Rate Sweatshirts. It is available at Nancy’s Notions. Here’s the link:

4. jean whaley Says:

September 13th, 2011 at 8:12 am

I have been trying to find the instructions for a sweatshirt jacket you and a guest made on your show probably 1-2 years ago (been searching a long time) – with no results. You used what I think were the colored bands the girls use for thei ponytails as the loop fastener for the button up front – if it’s in a book, I’d like the name of the book. We are “snowbirds” in Fla and your show is on there in the am, but in Michigan our local PBS station does not carry any of your or other sewing/knitting/crafting shows. Any help would be appreciated. If you need my mailing address, I will supply you with that. Thank you.

5. Jean M. Turner Says:

September 10th, 2011 at 7:11 am

Nancy Zieman’s projects are great; but I would like to be able to print these directions to make these projects. Maybe there is a workbook to guide you through each step. It goes so fast on the computer screen to remember exactly each step to follow without missing a step.

Please get back in touch with me as I want to learn how to use my Evolution Serger and not just sit on the shelve and not use it at all like my last serger — less than 20 hours on the serger in six or more years I owned it.

6. Sandy S Says:

April 14th, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I just loved all your quilts with the serger, and all the ruffles. I love the Baby Lock Serger, but I have an old one that I have to use. Yours is better. Maybe one of these days I can get a new one.

I have all your shows taped when they are shown on DTV

Sandy ;-}

February 28th, 2011 at 11:37 am

Dear Catherine, To learn more about the pillow case dresses, here’s a link to Little Dresses for Africa. http://www.littledressesforafrica.org/blog/

8. catherine scholtes Says:

February 27th, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I love your show. I would like to find out more information on the Pillow case dresses. This would be a perfect project for our Brownie troop. I am just starting to sewing lessons for the girls. Than you Catherine

January 24th, 2011 at 6:30 am

Veda, Maggie Ball’s program is named, “Bargello Quilts with a Twist.” You can always find information about a Sewing With Nancy show at http://www.sewingwithnancy.com. When you click on the Nancy’s Corner area (http://www.nancysnotions.com/jump.do?itemID=5&itemType=LANDING&page=nancyscorner) you’ll find information featured in that segment. Deb Menz is the person you’re looking for. Her web site is http://www.debmenz.com

January 24th, 2011 at 6:15 am

Sheli, thanks for the message. The book/DVD is entitled, “Elastic—Stretch Your Options.” It’s available through Nancy’s Notions: http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/sew+elastics+stretch+your+options+book.do

Enjoy!

11. Sheli Vrieze Says:

January 22nd, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Hi Nancy!! This morning my mom watched your show on PBS, and I for some reason missed it.She said it taught on elastic, and you had a book referenced in the show.I don’t know how to watch the episode online, and I was wondering what book you had on the episode.

Thanks,
    Sheli

12. veda goodwin Says:

January 22nd, 2011 at 9:30 am

Hi Nancy: I so enjoy your show, today you had Maggie Ball on program 2413, I missed the name of the other artist you had on her first name was Deb, could please let me know what her last name is. Many thanks Veda

January 22nd, 2011 at 7:56 am

Maureen,
    Our broadcast consultant has been working with Create TV. Our hope is that the show will return to the line-up this summer!

14. Maureen Higgins Says:

January 21st, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Thank you for your post on January 18th. I too have been scouring the TV listings and Create’s schedule looking for your show. I thought I was just not seeing where it was now. Is there anything we viewers can do to help influence CreateTV to get you back on the air?

I love your show, your products and your online presence. Although I’ve watched you on TV for years, I have just recently taken classes and become a serious (though still amateur) sewer. You are my inspiration and go to guru!

Thank you for all your work!
    Maureen

15. Kim Cates Says:

January 21st, 2011 at 10:48 am

I want to thank you for all your many years of your show. I really enjoy it. I am also very disappointed about not being able to watch you on CreateTV. I hope we do get to see you soon on Create. I hope some day I can take some of your classes. Until then I will watch you when ever and where ever I can.
    I love this serger quilt. I hope to learn how to use my serger better to try this technique.

Kim

January 20th, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Laura,
    Thanks for your comments. Your prairie point variation sounds very interesting, very creative!

You asked about the advantages of owning a serger. The Serge & Merge quilt technique features a serger technique in a rather unusual way. Traditionally, a serger is used for project sewing (totes, bags, home decorating), sewing knits, heirloom sewing—just to name a few. Consider visiting your local Baby Lock dealer to see all the advantages of using a serger. Explain to the staff at the store what type of sewing you do; they can help you make a decision.

Thanks for watching! Nancy

17. Teresa Gaddes Says:

January 20th, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I am so happy to see you online! My local PBS Station’s schedule for Sewing With Nancy wasn’t cooperating with my sleep schedule!
    I have signed up to take a class on serging quilts at the expo in Washington in March. This was enough to wet my appetite!
    Thank you for all you do!

18. Sheree Sheets Says:

January 20th, 2011 at 10:33 am

Very inspiring video. I love both fabric combos presented here and can see my stash being used (if I were to actually cut into it). Love, love, love the Baby Lock serger. I want an Imagine! Saving my pennies.

I, too, am missing your program on CreateTV. I used to watch CreateTV daily but they’ve removed several of my favorite shows (SWN, Woodsmith Shop) so I’m trying to find internet shows or other channels (BYU channel has several scrapbooking and sewing shows).

Love you Nancy! Thanks for presenting all the ideas and techniques through the years. I’m glad to see you at least on the internet!

19. Laura Connor Says:

January 20th, 2011 at 3:07 am

I watched your video, Serge and Merge. I have been trying to figure out whether I should buy a serger. I like to quilt and embroider and do both hand and machine embroidery. My expensive embroidery/sewing machine is in the shop because I dropped a screw inside it and could not retrieve it so all I have available is my Brother Runway machine. After watching your video I used the embroidery stitches on that machine to create the prairie points using the technique you demonstrated and then used an embroidery stitch to top stitch two pieces of fabric together. How would a serger be an improvement?

Laura

January 18th, 2011 at 9:17 am

June, the series is entitled “Expressive Sweatshirts.” You can buy it online from either nancysnotions.com or marymulari.com

Thanks for watching!

January 18th, 2011 at 8:57 am

Create TV has changed their schedule. My hope is that my show will return to that network in the near future. We’re working on it!

January 18th, 2011 at 8:57 am

23. june moss Says:

January 17th, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I need help finding the name of the TV program with Mary Mulari, making a sweatshirt with cut-up blouse trim. I can’t find it on line.

24. von radford Says:

January 17th, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Why can’t I get your programs on pbs create on Friday 12:00?

25. Rosie Pogue Says:

January 14th, 2011 at 8:09 am

Great technique it reminds me of a string quilt. Much less bulky I am looking forward to trying this!
    Rosie

26. Lola Cartwright Says:

January 12th, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Just the inspiration I needed for a snowy January day with a closet full of fabric. Thank you!

27. Carylon H. Says:

January 11th, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I really liked the Serge and Merge quilt on line class. I hope to be able to see more of them. I moved from the Dallas/Ft Worth area six months ago where I was able to view your TV programs weekly. Now I live in a tiny, but fantastic, small town South-East of Austin TX and no longer have access to your programs. I bought several DVD’s of my favorite programs after I moved and discovered Sewing With Nancy wasn’t on here. Thanks for doing that. Carylon H.

January 11th, 2011 at 7:52 am

Paula, the book/DVD on “Versatile Ombre Quilts” is available at http://www.nancysnotions.com. Research for item # BD2307. Enjoy!

29. Paula Ramsey Says:

January 10th, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Where can I find the class on the hombre fabric fan quilt? Is there a book that goes with it?